Saturday, September 17

Some things money can rent

Sort of dull account of moving (not too long though...)

So, I moved. It was a good move. I mean, it was a good decision. Also, the move went okay. I got a lot of help from my new roommate and his family, who moved him here from Chatham, Ontario in a mini-van that they offered to use to assist me with my move. I'd say about half of my possessions made it into or onto that van during the move. So, I couldn't be more grateful.
A lot of my friends here were very busy around moving time. So, I did most of the work on my own. I was somehow surprised at how long it takes to move yourself. I've always had at least one person helping with any moving I've done in the past and it makes the whole process more than twice as hard and frustrating to do it on your own.
When the move was done, my room at the new place looked like this:


It was remarkable that I even managed to fit all that in the room. While it is a good-sized room, this amounts to 80-90% of my non-kitchen possessions from my old apartment. It was weird trying to figure out how to get a 1-bedroom-apartment lifestyle into a shared house.
Yes, that's right! A house. I live in a house. With the wonderful difference in housing markets from Chicago to South, it is possible to live in not-an-apartment. I haven't lived in a house since 2005 and it feels good. Hopefully, I won't have to move next summer.
I sold my old twin bed to new-roommate Gary and got this new (new-to-me) queen size from the St. Vincent DePaul Society warehouse, which is where much of my furniture has been purchased. Then, I got the sweet gray-scale, low quality, mostly polyester, Meijer bedding:

There are pillowcases that match the comforter, but extra pillows for aesthetic purposes... not really a high priority.
So, for now, Gary, Semyon and I live in this 3-bedroom house. In British terms, it's a bungalow, I believe, but it has a basement. So, I don't know what to call that, but it works out pretty well. There's a lot more space to do things like wood-working side projects and whatnot. Also, more place for people to stay if anyone should desire to visit.

More on the latest wood-working project soon...

2 comments:

  1. while I'm not your graMom, I am proud of you for taking the time to set up your bed all nice and tidy... now for the rest of the stuffs. congrats on your new home!

    ReplyDelete