Saturday, December 3

No Cash Prizes?

Today I ran in the St. Nick's Six! That's the short name for a 6km run / 3km walk that is connected to the St. Joseph school and church a couple blocks from my house.



The weather was better than expected, and the field of competition was fierce. I had a little electric chip thing attached to a shoelace that recorded my time. I've never been in a race that has that, so that was kind of cool. I got a free shirt, also kind of cool. And I ran and I ran and I ran and then I was done and I felt kind of good because I didn't push myself toooo hard and my calf muscles hurt, but that's about it. Also there was hot chocolate.

The sheet of paper said that I came 7th of all the males aged 20-24. Apparently, there were exactly 7 males aged 20-24 racing. 6th place was about 5 minutes ahead of me. My finishing time was listed as 35.07, which I worked out is about 9m25s per mile. So, you know, pretty good for a guy who ran on Thursday to prepare and before that hadn't gone on a run since 1.5 miles in the summer of 2010.

Yeeeeah... running... it's so not my favorite.

I had a few friends running also. Gary came 4th of the 7 males aged 20-24 with a time of 27ish minutes. He set this whole thing up for us, including registering us all. I was pleased to see my name was spelled correctly after Monika G****** went up to the registration board and said, "Gary, did you put me down as Monika G-Polish?" I maintain that this worked out in Monika's favor because she decided to do the 3k walk at the last minute and accidentally came first among the females aged 25-29 (Monika will turn 25 in 2013). Neil won 2nd in his group and got a hat. Tim got a $5 DQ giftcard for 3rd place in his. What was first prize? Cash? We will never know because Monika was too embarrassed to claim her prize that she didn't earn.

1 comment:

  1. Monika G-Polish! Ha, that's hilarious.

    I am surrounded by uber-competitive people here. They could beat 9.5 min miles in their sleep and they'll tell you all about it, even though you've told them you don't actually care.

    Anyway, this post is refreshing.

    ReplyDelete